St. Francis of Assisi

"Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary use words"
~ it is always necessary... but make sure you live what you preach now!

Saturday 4 January 2014

A Christmas Miracle


What is a Christmas Miracle?

Hello, friends! I’m sorry it’s been some time since my last blog.  Too much time!  But let's get into it, shall we?

With this post I could talk about how this has been one of the best Christmases I’ve ever had...mention the several belt busting meals I’ve had...and the wonderful families I have been adopted into here on the "Dark Continent", but that’s not what I’m going to focus on with this post. Though all of these things in their own way are miracles, the miracle I want to talk about is even deeper and more beautiful in all of its value than all these things put into one.

Christmas (not "happy holidays") is a very special time of year.  To quote Chevy Chase's character in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation – “Christmas is a time of year for putting aside differences and resolving conflicts and coming together.”  And it's so very true!  So, let's get into the miracle part.

The house I live in is a Christian home.  To help us run the home we have a small staff that help us. They too are Christians.  Our night guard is a really cool dude and some nights I’m out there late talking away with him about every subject you can imagine.  When I asked how Christmas was… well let the miracles begin!

I had no idea that my Christian friend had married a Muslim woman.  This year, she, of her own choosing, became a Christian.  She accepted Christ.  The district she comes from in Malawi is an Islamic stronghold and has been for a long time.  She is the first person from that region to have been  born Muslim and then to have converted to Christianity.  WOW!

Culturally that never happens.  You stay to what you where brought up to be, no questions asked.  It's how it is.  You respect your family - especially your parents and their wishes for you.

My friend (our night guard) and his wife traveled to tell her parents together about this.  After some very serious questioning they were okay...they are okay with their daughter's decision.  Though they in no way understand it, but out of a desire to, allowed this couple to return on New Year's Eve to have a worship service in their home.  So my friend went with several other Christians to have a time of worship and thanksgiving in the Muslim home of his wife's parents in the center of "Muslim town".   Praise God!

That is a Christmas Miracle...not turkey, not presents, not even being able to share Christmas with your family.  This: truly becoming a family under God, Jesus Christ the Lord, that’s the miracle…and what Christmas is truly about.  God’s gift to us of His Son whom He knew would suffer and die the worst of deaths that we might find new life.

A belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Lilongwe from Home

No comments:

Post a Comment